Sep 19, 2013

Hair Chameleon

{My newest hair color!}

Just a few weeks ago, I was crazy about my blonde hair. I gushed, "I LOVE this color! Never going to change it!" Let's just say I was in over my hair.

When I decided to take the bleach blonde plunge, I totally did one of these: "Psh! Bleach my whole head? No biggie! Black roots coming in? I can handle that! Purple shampoo? It can't be that hard! Fried ends? It's only hair!"

As you can already tell, it turns out that blonde hair meant high maintenance (seriously, where was my light bulb? Common sense, Diana! Common sense!)

Back track to this Saturday. My uber talented sister-in-law-to-be touched up my roots with some bleach. After washing out the bleach, we attempted to tone the roots with an ashy shade to counteract the warmth. We pulled the toner towards my ends to make it blend nicely. My porous hair took the toner SO quickly and I got a seriously ashy, nearly green outcome. Because the color was even, I thought it would be an easy fix - add more warmth and get back to my beautiful blonde.

So, there I was at Sally's on Sunday - ashy hair and all. The lady there told me to go with a gold-based dye to warm up my color. I went home, tried it, and it didn't do much but make my roots ginger hot. Blorange roots and ashy ends... I was ecstatic. 

While letting my hair chill out for a few days - and also staying shy from the rest of the world (who would really want to show off the colorful mess I had going on?) - I dissected browsed the internet for more solutions. I also found myself on tons of fashion blogs and websites checking out what people wore to fashion week and this season's trends. 

And a new hair craving began. Yes, every so often I get a craving/itch for a new color. The thought process goes something like this: "Ou! Loving that pleated skirt for fall. A pumpkin spice latte in hand? I can't wait until the leaves change colors. How gorgeous would rich chocolate locks look against a fall palette? I must be a brunette... ASAP!"

This brunette conclusion came just in time. I was having a hair crisis and autumn was rolling in. Four boxes of level 5 golden brown dye later and I am back to my brunette self. I love how changing hair colors can make you feel like a whole new person. That's probably why I've been a hair chameleon since the ripe age of 12 - playing hair dress up whenever my moods or the seasons change.

My point? Autumn, I'm officially ready for you! Don't worry, blonde, we'll meet again someday.


{My changing hair colors in the past year}


Are you a hair chameleon too? What's your go-to hair color for this autumn? 
Tell me in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment