Apr 8, 2013

Potty Progress


This past weekend, Carter started potty training. As usual, I did my crazy research. Reading up on methods, tips, and tricks makes me feel a tiny bit more prepared and inevitably more anxious. In most of the mom forums, there was a good mixture of the "Luckily, it was easy for my kid" and "Yep, it was a NIGHTMARE" testimonials. All ended with kids on the toilet seat and so that gave me some hope.

A year ago, the eagerness in me bought a Toy Story potty. My intention wasn't to get Carter diaper-free right away, but to just introduce him to the idea of his own toilet. All he took away was that his potty sang "Yayyyyy!" when it flushed. Aside from that, no interest at all. So, with the fear that I'd traumatize him if I forced him to potty train, we took a step back for a while.

Since then, I've tried to sneak Carter the idea of the potty. We have potty conversations, potty books, and - for goodness sake - potty apps! Still, Carter would whine, "Noooo. Diaperrrr!" My internal response? He's not ready.

Fast forward to Friday night and I was browsing through some parenting articles when potty training popped up. I gave it a quick thought: Carter doesn't like a dirty diaper, he has dry periods of a few hours, and he is already 3. Good signs, right? I mean, Carter can't be attached to his diapers forever. I took that thought with me to bed and had an oddly vivid dream about potty training Carter. And when I woke up, I decided on whim - just like that - that potty training should start right away.

From its hiding spot in Carter's top drawer, I took out his Cars undies (those things are so darn cute!) and put them on him. He whined and asked for his diaper to which I kindly said no. My plan was that I'd train Carter over three days and keep him in his undies at home for the entire time. Also, I had it set in my mind that I would keep my cool during the process.

Accident #1 happened. Carter looked confused. I took his hand and said, "Here, Carter. Let's go to the potty. That's where we go pee!" I definitely didn't want to make him feel badly. When we got to the potty, he stared at the toilet uncomfortably and started to whine. I took his underwear off and explained to him that we wipe with toilet paper (apparently, this is up for discussion among males) and then flush the toilet paper down the potty. He loved the flushing part and willingly put on a new pair of underwear.

After the first accident, I thought I'd try putting him on the potty after lunch - whether he needed to go or not. You know, just to try. This time, potty phobia kicked in. I propped him on the toilet seat and he started bawling like CRAZY as if the toilet was going to hurt him. I tried to calm him, but that just turned into full out tantrum screaming. And so after only 30 seconds, he was off of that seat. The screaming didn't end for another 10 minutes - 10 hard parenting minutes that are really out to test a mom's patience and sanity. I think I passed. I kept my frustrations to myself and let him cool down on his own.

Accident #2 followed. Again, we wiped up, flushed it down, and put on a clean pair of undies. Even though Carter wasn't in his diaper, my gut said that he still was not ready. He wasn't letting me know of any "sensations" and he would cry when I even mentioned trying again.

By Saturday night, Carter was in his diaper. He just wasn't ready. And we are totally fine with that. To us, it isn't a total bust - it's a part of the learning experience. I think the 3-day potty training plans are great and I am glad that they work for other families, but change is hard for toddlers and we are willing to take time to ease Carter into potty training.

Potty training proves to be a tough battle, probably one of the hardest parenting challenges I've faced yet. The amazing thing is that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. To my surprise, just before bed, Carter started chatting with me about diapers and the potty. I asked hopefully, "Are you excited to try wearing underwear again?"

"Yes," he said. An awesome sign indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment