Mar 25, 2013

All in Perspective


I am the type of person to easily get worked up, anxious, panic-y, and stressed out. It really is a horrible trait that I wouldn't wish on anyone. It's as simple as listening to a person speak intensely and I feel like my heart is going to beat out of my chest. Or take yesterday as an example: family members getting all excited about the wedding and spewing their good-hearted ideas that it brings me to a nauseous state.

When I get to those kinds of moments - when everything is just blurry and overwhelming - I take a step back, breathe in and out (it really does work!), and put everything into perspective. Looking at the big picture helps. I can choose my battles and focus on the important things like being a good mom, having a nice conversation with Kyle, saying a night time prayer, and saying yes to happiness.

For myself, it's always a work in progress. Sometimes it's hard to look at happiness as a choice and not a destination. It's so easy to think, "I'll be happy once I do this or get that," but all that really leaves is a persistent emptiness. On the days that I say yes to happiness and remind myself of my blessings, I feel beyond content... I feel complete.

Gratitude turns what we have into enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment